Retreat program: holidays for mind, body and spirit
Feel better. Enjoy nature, art, gentle yoga, yourself. Just chill.
Learn more. Healthy living… the good life.
The program is fluid. Everything that happens at a residential retreat is programmed: the planned, the unplanned, the organised and unorganised, the tangible and intangible, measureable and unmeasurable, informal as well as formal. This is because all aspects of our inner and outer experiences (elements, forms, emotions, thoughts, sciences, arts, discourses, discussions etc.) are an expression of the interplay and potential of archetypical forces, and are different expressions of wisdom. Unlock your potential and joy by shedding layers of resistance through more structured sessions, such as pranayama (breathwork), gentle yoga, meditation and nidra (deep relaxation), together with meaningful conversations, laughter, spiritual movies and nature walks. To enhance this already potent combination, there is also free time for optional massage and Ayurvedic treatments, weightloss, detox, incredible meals and more in a meditation environment nestled in Nirvana's breathtaking landscapes. Go home refreshed, rejuvenated, empowered and relaxed.
A weekend program runs from Friday evening at 6pm to Sunday after lunch. Often the weekend retreats are themed. Each day begins at 7am with meditation and ends after supper. Breakfast is at 8.30am; lunch at 12.30/1pm and supper at 7pm. We all share in light duties such as dishes, clearing the tables, dawn water preparations and so on during the retreat. We look forward to welcoming you to Nirvana Wellness retreat. We are excited about creating a community of practitioners and a supportive container for health, wellness and meditation.
At our longer, themed retreats you could expect some or all of this, depending upon the length of your stay:
A sample day...
With a variety of activities to choose from, your days can be as full or quiet as you desire.
Day of arrival
- ORIENTATION and INTRODUCTION upon arrival.
- CANDLELIGHT RESTORATIVE PRANAYAMA WORKSHOP Blissful, candlelit, quiet serenity with pranayama (breath work) and mindful meditation instruction for both new and experienced, facilitated by Shanti Gowans. Group orientation.
- MEET and DINE with new like-minded people
- DAWN WATER: Each morning begins with a hot infusion of lemon and ginger water and fresh aloe vera from the plant
- MORNING CONSTITUTIONAL: Wake, stretch and enjoy a walk up the hill to the water tanks for your morning constitutional
- GROUP MEDITATION: Spend some quiet time in a daily group meditation session with Shantiji. You are supported with the use of bolsters, blankets and props which align and modify to what works for your body and your breath learns to slow down and your mind calms and relaxes.
- DHARMA TALK: Daily inspirational presentation that fits both our location and theme facilitated by Shanti Gowans. These include talks on wellness, Yoga and Ayurveda, which cover: Healthy body, healthy mind; Restoring balance and wholeness; Revitalising yourself; Self esteem, Self worth, Self love and Belief in yourself; Respectful, loving relationships; Reducing anxiety, restlessness and depression; Coping strategies for health and contentment in everyday life etc.
- SACRED ART: Enjoy some sacred mandala art with our art teacher Christine
- NATURE WALK and TALK: Or chose from: orientation walk, buddha walk, herbal walk, spring walk, rainforest circuit. Visiting the near-by forests and waterfalls is always a favorite activity with stunning views and exhilarating wildlife
- GENTLE YOGA: Shanti Yoga gentle stretching
- FITNESS: Or get invigorated with dancing, fitness and fun with Bollywood and/or Zumba
- OPTIONAL TREATMENTS: Or opt to detox in the infra-red inch-loss treatment
- PERSONAL TIME
- HEALTH LECTURE: Sit in on a health lecture on Ayurveda which could include nutrition, mindful eating, self-care, life integration
- YOGA NIDRA: Enjoy a deliciously restful, fully guided relaxation session, where you feel wonderfully renewed.
- TREATMENT TIME: Free time to indulge in optional treatments, which include Ayurvedic and Thai massages, herbal treatments, medicines and purifying steam that brings new life to tired muscles, bones and tendons.
- PERSONAL TIME: Personal time to sink into the rhythm of the rainforest and explore nature, read a book from the extensive library or relax in the hammock
- SACRED CHANTS: Enjoy a singalong, some sacred chants, dancing or a gentle yoga stretching class
- LIGHT SUPPER: Chat with new and old friends while enjoying a light supper
- MOVIE: Attend a spiritual movie, or an entertaining movie, then head off to bed