The Yoga for Schools Program - for students and teachers
The word yoga means union. Yoga is an ancient philosophy and practice that teaches the mind and body to unite and work in harmony to create a more balanced and responsive individual.
One of the trends in yoga today is towards adaptive practices, which allows yoga to enter the lives of a more diverse community. Shanti Yoga has developed a program to bring the age-old practice of yoga into the modern-day classroom, allowing students to encounter yoga and its many benefits in a fun, engaging and developmentally appropriate manner.
Yoga is traditionally associated with the development of positive traits such as confidence, compassion, respect, tolerance, patience and nonviolence. The Shanti Yoga Program for Children brings the character education aspects of yoga into the foreground. All basic curriculum areas are addressed, as well as classroom management, health, fitness, environmental and multicultural education.
The Shanti Yoga philosophy de-emphasises perfection, rigidity and competition. Children learn best when stress is low, self-esteem is high and the environment is motivating and nurturing. There is a link between yoga and better learning, improved behaviours and higher self esteem.
A unique element of the Shanti Yoga for Life children's yoga program is its education of the whole child with yoga as a pathway to learning. Each pose or activity becomes a springboard for integrated learning activities that explore academic subjects such as anatomy, earth sciences, maths, language, music and art in innovative, playful ways. Traditional 'grown-up' yoga poses become age-appropriate poses and activities, frequently incorporating sound and movement and stimulating creative expression and discussion.
Students will practice breathing techniques, yoga poses, games, activities, relaxation and visualisation.
- Improves posture, flexibility, strength, balance and coordination.
- Encourages positive thinking and a motivation to learn new things.
- Balances the brain to enhance concentration, focus, creativity and clarity, supporting academic success.
- Fosters self-esteem and self-acceptance.
- Is a non-competitive activity that can be enjoyed by children of all abilities.
- Enables children to know themselves better and learn to trust their instincts.
The Yoga for Schools program
- Honours each child's unique way of absorbing and integrating information, so all students can learn in the style that suits them best.
- Helps children acknowledge and nurture their specific gifts and strengths - from playing sport to playing a musical instrument.
- Allows children to experience fun, playfulness and collaboration with others as part of the learning process.
- Help your students learn, regardless of learning style.
- Have fun and feel great whilst sharing yoga with your students.
- Manage classroom behaviour challenges gracefully.
- Easily integrate yoga into youyr curriculum, even if you have no prior yoga experience.
- Will learn to integrate yoga skills into their daily lives, enhancing learning potential and life skills.
- Will have fun learning, leading to academic success.
- Will feel better about themselves and more connected to their community.